Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jefferson in Marion County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Captain William Perry

(April 5, 1813 - January 2, 1869)

 
 
Captain William Perry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 24, 2014
1. Captain William Perry Marker
Inscription.  William Perry was among the first settlers of Jefferson, arriving ca. 1840. Through his shipping business and his work in dredging a turning basin for ships in the Big Cypress Bayou, he played a significant role in the early growth and development of Jefferson as an inland port. He bought and developed large tracts of land in the area, becoming quite wealthy in the process.

After traveling to California during the late 1840s gold rush, Perry returned to Jefferson and built a home at the corner of Polk and Clarksville streets for his wife Sardinia (1826-1912) and their children. The home was later moved to 203 Clarksville Street and incorporated with another structure.

In addition to his real estate dealings and shipping interests, Perry owned a hotel which is now a part of the historic Excelsior House. A respected community leader, he served as mayor of Jefferson from 1863 to 1864.

On January 2, 1869, Perry was fatally shot while walking home after midnight. William Perry and his wife, along with other family members, are buried in Jefferson's Oakwood Cemetery.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8076.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
 
Location. 32° 45.349′ N, 94° 20.741′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Texas, in Marion County. Marker is on West Austin Street, 0.1 miles west of North Market Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located at the southeast corner of the Excelsior House Hotel. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 West Austin Street, Jefferson TX 75657, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Excelsior House (a few steps from this marker); Jay Gould Railroad Car (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Brown-Bender House (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Federal Court and Post Office Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Livery Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); Mergenthaler Linotype Typesetting Machine (within shouting distance of this marker); Kahn Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
 
Also see . . .
1. Captain William Perry.
Captain William Perry was the first steamboat captain into
Captain William Perry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 24, 2014
2. Captain William Perry Marker
the Port of Jefferson. Not only was he one of the first settlers of Jefferson, but he played an important role in the growth of the newly incoporated town of Jefferson and the increasingly important Riverport and Turning Basin. He became quite rich from his real estate dealings and eventually built the hotel in Jefferson. That hotel became the Excelsior Hotel which is the second oldest hotel in Texas. (Submitted on December 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. The Excelsior House Hotel. (Submitted on December 6, 2017.)
 
Captain William Perry Marker (<i>wide view showing Excelsior House in background</i>) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 24, 2014
3. Captain William Perry Marker (wide view showing Excelsior House in background)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 652 times since then and 230 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   2. submitted on December 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   3. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110961

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024