Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Donegal in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Savannah Road

←—→

 
 
Old Savannah Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, August 2008
1. Old Savannah Road Marker
Inscription.  The highway crossing here is the Old Savannah Road, one of the earliest vehicular routes west of the Ogeechee River. It led from Savannah to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, to the south of the present Milledgeville. There it connected with the main course of the noted Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta to the Creek Indians of western Georgia. Opening of this lower stretch of the old road was authorized by the State in 1777. When Milledgeville was made the capital, the thoroughfare was extended to that place. Most of the original course remains in current use.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 016-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1777.
 
Location. 32° 32.741′ N, 81° 43.382′ W. Marker is in Donegal, Georgia, in Bulloch County. Marker is on Statesboro Highway (U.S. 301) near Old River
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Road North, on the right when traveling south. Located about 7 mi NE of Statesboro, 3/4 mile SE of Donegal. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Statesboro GA 30458, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Meeting House (a few steps from this marker); Louisville Road (approx. 3.3 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 3.3 miles away); Cooperville (approx. 3.3 miles away); a different marker also named Union Meeting House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sherman's Advance (approx. 4.4 miles away); Rigdon’s Mill / The Rigdon Cemetery (approx. 5 miles away); Akins’ Mill Pond / The Families of Akins’ Mill Pond (approx. 5.8 miles away).
 
Old Savannah Road Marker, looking westward on Old River Road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Old Savannah Road Marker, looking westward on Old River Road
Old Savannah Road Marker shares intersection with "Union Meeting House" Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Old Savannah Road Marker shares intersection with "Union Meeting House" Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,861 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11101

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024