Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Old Elam Baptist Church

 
 
Old Elam Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, December 12, 2017
1. Old Elam Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized on June 19, 1819, by Rev. James McLemore, Electious Thompson, Arnold Edwards, and E. Jeter, Old Elam is one of Montgomery's earliest Baptist churches. It began with fourteen members and was one of the four original churches that comprised the Alabama Baptist Association.
Although most of its early members were white, several enslaved persons also worshiped here. Caesar Blackwell (1769-1845), a renowned African American preacher and a slave who was owned by the Association, gave some of his earliest sermons at Old Elam. In 1865, the white congregation departed, giving the church and deed for the surrounding land to its black members.
A tornado destroyed the church in 1947. A new facility was constructed on the same site three years later. In 1977, following an extensive remodeling, the church began offering regular weekly services. A new sanctuary was built in 1997.
The church cemetery dates to 1820 and is listed on the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. Many ministers and missionaries have been sent from Old Elam, "the beacon on the hill," to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2016 by the Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionDisasters. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 19, 1819.
 
Location. 32° 25.01′ N, 86° 13.995′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Cong W L Dickinson Drive (County Road 21) north of Gunter Park Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2526 Cong W L Dickinson Drive, Montgomery AL 36109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gunter Annex / Gunter Basic Flying Training School (approx. ¾ mile away); Union Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church (approx. one mile away); Madison Park School (approx. 1.2 miles away); Khobar Towers (approx. 1.3 miles away); Corporal Vernon L. Burge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Operation Allied Force (approx. 1.3 miles away); Combat Skyspot (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
 
Old Elam Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, December 12, 2017
2. Old Elam Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 376 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=111373

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024