Norrisville in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mason and Dixon Line 40th Mile Stone
Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary line surveyed and marked 1763-68 by two English astronomers, Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon. This is one of the "Crown" stones, set every five miles displaying the coat of arms of Lord Baltimore on south and Penns on north sides. Intermediate miles marked by stones with M facing Maryland and P Pennsylvania. Stones imported from England.
Erected 2017 by Maryland Historic Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1763.
Location. 39° 43.272′ N, 76° 32.579′ W. Marker is in Norrisville, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is on Norrisville Road (Maryland Route 23) near Draco Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Hall MD 21161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Crown Stone Mile 40 (a few steps from this marker); Mason and Dixon Line (approx. 6.1 miles away); Mason and Dixon Mile Stone (approx. 6.1 Black Horse Tavern (approx. 6.7 miles away); Virginia Hall (approx. 7.1 miles away); Bentley Springs (approx. 7˝ miles away); Freeland (approx. 7˝ miles away); Spurgeon Milton Keeny (approx. 7.9 miles away in Pennsylvania).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2018, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 28, 2018, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.