Newport in Lincoln County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The old Yaquina Bay Lighthouse established in 1871 is the earliest aid to navigation, standing within the range of the first recorded landfall made from a ship to the shores of the Pacific Northwest. Captain James Cook made this landfall on March 7, 1778. At noon he named Cape Foulweather. On account of the heavy weather he was compelled to stand out at sea at night and only approach the land in the afternoon so that he was unable to find any harbor along the Oregon Coast. News of Cook’s voyage to the Pacific Northwest stimulated the American interests in this region and aroused in Thomas Jefferson an interest that led to the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 and the dispatch of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Erected by State of Oregon.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, the Lewis & Clark Expedition, and the Oregon Beaver Boards series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport OR 97365, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yaquina Bay Bridge (a few steps from this marker); United States Coast Guard Motor Lifeboat CG 36503 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Newport, Oregon (approx. 0.7 miles away); South to Newport (approx. 3.8 miles away); A Family Affair (approx. 3.8 miles away); A Keeper's Work Was Never Done (approx. 3.8 miles away); It's a Long Way Up (approx. 3.8 miles away); Devil's Punchbowl (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Oregon Coast Lighthouses
Also see . . .
1. Yaquina Bay Lighthouse.
Newport’s first Lighthouse was built on the northwest side of the Yaquina Bay to assist ships and boats in safe navigation during stormy or foggy weather in 1871. It served for three years until a new Lighthouse was built at Yaquina Head, three and a half miles to the north in 1873. (Submitted on January 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Yaquina Bay Lighthouse History.
The lighthouse was sited on a wooded bluff above the mouth of the Yaquina River, overlooking the Newport bayfront and a broad expanse of the Pacific Ocean. During it's brief period in service, whale oil, not electricity, was used to fuel the lighthouse lamps, and thus a full-time job for the lighthouse keeper to simply keep the lamp lit from sundown to sunrise. The Yaquina Bay lighthouse had a visibility of 12 miles from shore. (Submitted on January 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Oregon Travel Experience - Yaquina Bay. (Submitted on February 2, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on February 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1. submitted on January 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.