Hood River in Hood River County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Gone But Not Forgotten
Sternwheeler traffic on the Columbia River reached a fevered-pitch with the completion of Cascade Locks in 1896. Steam-powered paddlewheelers provided a vital link between The Dalles and Portland. The trip averaged six hours on a good day, and competition was stiff among shipping lines vying to transport timber, produce, and passengers.
The 160-foot sternwheeler M. F. Henderson was built by the Shaver Transportation Co. in 1901 as a combination freighter and tow-boat. In 1911, during an overhaul, she lost the initials “M.F.” and became the Henderson. The Henderson enjoyed a long and distinguished career on the Columbia towing log rafts, pushing barges, and tugging ships. By 1950, the Henderson was one of only two wood-hulled sternwheelers still working the river.
In December 1956, with a grain ship in tow, the Henderson encountered heavy swells near the mouth of the Columbia. The vessel's hull pounded so hard against the unyielding tow that the crew was forced to beach her near Columbia City. Declared a "constructive total loss," the Henderson languished on the shore
Erected by Hood River Lions Foundation Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 45° 42.662′ N, 121° 30.425′ W. Marker is in Hood River, Oregon, in Hood River County. Marker is on East Port Marina Drive north of Interstate 84, on the left when traveling north. Marker and subject paddle wheel are located on the Hood River Waterfront trail, near the Hood River County History Museum entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 East Port Marina Drive, Hood River OR 97031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A School with Roots (within shouting distance of this marker); OWR & N Company Railroad Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Hood River (approx. ¼ mile away); The Mount Hood Hotel Annex (approx. ¼ mile away); The Blowers Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Sproat Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Hood River Garage (approx. ¼ mile away); Hotel Waucoma (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hood River.
Also see . . .
1. Stern Drives on the Columbia River.
The wooden sternwheelers of that era were all driven hard and not built to last long. After 15 years, Shaver's top two boats were scrapped and the steam engines were removed and re-used in new boats carrying the same name. However, 1901 saw (Submitted on February 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Portland (steam tug 1947).
The Portland is a sternwheel steamboat built in 1947 for the Port of Portland, Oregon, in the United States. On January 24, 1952, the Portland raced against the older sternwheel tug Henderson in a staged race on the Columbia River in order to promote the upcoming Jimmy Stewart film Bend of the River (with the stars riding on the Henderson). The Henderson won by a length and a half. (Submitted on February 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. "Bend of the River". The last steamboat race on the Columbia was held in 1952, between the Henderson and the new steel-hulled Portland, both towboats. This was actually more of an exhibition than a race. The famous actor James Stewart and other members of the cast of the recently-filmed movie Bend of the River were on-board the Henderson. The race was witnessed by Capt. Homer T. Shaver, who stated that as both were running fast for their design, as towboats, the speeds were not much compared to (Submitted on February 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.