Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Formerly Harrison Hall
placed on the
Of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of Interior
Location. 39° 7.07′ N, 77° 33.833′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker can be reached from North King Street (Business U.S. 15) north of North Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 North King Street, Leesburg VA 20176, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lee Comes to Leesburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Mt. Zion United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Methodism in Leesburg (about 600 feet away); In Memory of Richard Owings (about 600 feet away); Fighting for Freedom (about 700 feet away); Confederate Soldiers (about 800 feet away); Loudoun County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory of the Heroic Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
Regarding Glenfiddich House. The 1840
1. Harrison Hall in the Civil War
“Located at 205 N. King Street in Leesburg, Harrison Hall was built in 1780. On October 21, 1861, ladies of the house watched the Battle of Ball’s Bluff from the upper-story windows. Afterward, wounded soldiers were cared for at the Hall, including Col. E.R. Burt of the 18th Mississippi, who died there four days after the battle. During the course of the war, the Hall enjoyed a reputation as a hospitality center for visiting Confederate officers. On September 4, 1862, its most prominent guest arrived. Gen. Robert E. Lee, commander of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, arrived in an ambulance wagon, and left with his two hands bandaged in splints after an accident with his horse Traveler. That night, Lee conducted a meeting in the front parlor of the house. In attendance were his top commanders, including Gens. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson, James Longstreet, Lewis A. Armistead, and J.E.B. Stuart. They finalized plans for the invasion of Maryland, which would lead to the Battle of Antietam. Today, Harrison Hall is known as the Glenfiddich House.” [Text from http://civilwar.visitloudoun.org]
“From 1966-68 poet and author James Dickey resided at Glenfiddich House, an easy commute to his position as poetry consultant to the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. It was during his stay that he began his manuscript for his novel Deliverance. The desk that he wrote the first drafts of the novel is still at Glenfiddich House.” - Wikipedia
— Submitted March 1, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Communications • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 1, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.