Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
Monument of the San Francisco Ruins
Complejo arquitectónico del siglo XVI conformado por iglesia, convento y capilla de la Orden Terciaria. En 1543 el maestro Rodrigo de Liendo inicia su construcción, la cual se extiende hasta 1664. Fue sede de los frailes franciscanos, quienes llegaron a la isla en 1502. Su escudo y cordón distintivo se muestran en relieve en el portal de entrada al convento.
Architectonic complex from the 16th century, made up of a church, convent and chapel of the Franciscan Third Order. In 1543 the master builder Rodrigo de Liendo began its construction, which would last until 1664. It was the headquarters for Franciscan friars, who arrived to the island in 1502. Their coat of arms and distinctive cord can be seen in the relief of the convent’s entry portal.
Erected by Ministerio de Cultura.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features.
Location. 18° 28.606′ N, 69° 53.131′ W. Marker is in Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional. Marker is on Calle Emiliano Tejera just east of Calle Juan Isidro Pérez, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional 10212, Dominican Republic. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dominican Resistance to the US Invasion of 1965 (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Hermitage of Saint Anton (about 150 meters away); House of the Duarte y Díez Family (about 180 meters away); 1505 Colonial House (about 180 meters away); Nicolás de Ovando (about 240 meters away); The Colonial City of Santo Domingo (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Palace of the Governors (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Residence of Treasurer Cristóbal de Santa Clara (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santo Domingo.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 11, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.