Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Kenmore

 
 
Kenmore Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 12, 2007
1. Kenmore Marker
Inscription.  Four blocks west stands Kenmore, built in 1775 by Col. Fielding Lewis for his wife, Betty, sister of George Washington. Near here, between Kenmore and the Rappahannock River, stood Lewis’s warehouses and docks. Kenmore’s intricate plasterwork is the finest in the country. Among 19th-century owners and occupants were Samuel Gordon, who named it Kenmore, and William Key Howard, Jr., who restored and embellished the mansion’s plasterwork. Washington and other Revolutionary leaders often visited, and during the Civil War, Union troops used it as a hospital. The Garden Club of Virginia, starting in 1929, rehabilitated Kenmore’s gardens as its first restoration project.
 
Erected 1992 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number N-31.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNotable BuildingsWar, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, the George Washington Slept Here, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1775.
 
Location. 38° 18.351′ N, 77° 27.656′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is on Caroline Street, 0.1 miles north of Lewis Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lewis Store (a few steps from this marker); 1908 (a few steps from this marker); Fire on Caroline Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Reformed Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); 1854 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rising Sun Tavern (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Rising Sun Tavern (about 400 feet away); c. 1740s (about 500 feet away); 1871 (about 500 feet away); 1856 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
Regarding Kenmore. Kenmore is at 1201 Washington Ave.
 
Also see . . .  Kenmore and Ferry Farm
Kenmore Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., June 8, 2021
2. Kenmore Marker
. (Submitted on June 12, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.)
 
Kenmore image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 12, 2007
3. Kenmore
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,024 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 12, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on June 9, 2021, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   3. submitted on June 12, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1149

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2024