Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Venice Louisiana/Fort Jackson, Louisiana/Fort St. Phillip
Panel #2 Mississippi Riverwalk
A) Venice Louisiana
Mile 10.8 AHP
Venice lies at the end of the longest continuous levee line in the world, stretching 650 miles north to the Arkansas River. It is the last town accessible by a highway on the west bank of the Mississippi River. Hurricane Camille’s 200-mile-per-hour wind destroyed much of Venice in 1969.
B) Fort Jackson, Louisiana
Mile 18.6 AHP
A French outpost was built here in the 1750’s, and the Spanish erected Fort Bourbon on the site in 1792 as a companion to Fort St Philip across the river. The British attack of 1815 demonstrated the need for a major U. S. Fort on the Plaquemines Bend, and Fort Jackson, named for Andrew Jackson, was completed in 1832. During the U. S. Civil War Confederate troops seized the fort in 1861. As the Union Fleet sailed upriver toward New Orleans in 1862, they met major resistance at Fort Jackson and Fort St. Philip, which were bolstered by a Confederate flotilla drawn up between them. The Union vessel virtually annihilated the Confederate boats and then ran past the forts and on to New Orleans, LA. A number of mortar boats stayed
C. Fort St. Phillip
Mile 20.0 AHP
Spain built a fort here in 1792, on the curve known as Plaquemines Bend, to protect New Orleans, LA from attack during the war with France. After the United States bought Louisiana, Andrew Jackson strengthened the fort and it withstood a nine-day bombardment by the British in 1815. Today Fort St. Philip is a national historic monument but can be reached only by boat.
Photo Credit: Venice, Louisiana courtesy of NOAA Restoration Center
Erected by Mississippi Riverwalk. (Marker Number 2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Forts and Castles • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1792.
Location. 35° 8.968′ N, 90° 3.507′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker can be reached from Island Drive, 0.8 miles south of West A.W. Willis Avenue when traveling south. Located in Mud Island River Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 N Front St, Memphis TN 38103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Mississippi Riverwalk (here, next to this marker); Ohio River (here, next to this marker); Cairo, Illinois (here, next to this marker); Islands No. 2, 3, and 4 / Fort Jefferson, Kentucky / Bird’s Point, Missouri (here, next to this marker); Island No. 5 (Wolf Island)/Belmont, Missouri/Columbus, Kentucky (here, next to this marker); Donaldson Point, Missouri/Island No. 8/Hickman, Kentucky/Dorena Crevasse (here, next to this marker); New Madrid, Missouri/Cates Casting Field/Island No. 10 (here, next to this marker); Tiptonville, Tennessee/Bixby Towhead (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Also see . . .
1. Hurricane Camille. The pressure fell to 27.80 inches of mercury (941 hPa) at Garden Island. Winds gusted to 125 miles per hour (201 km/h) at Slidell as their pressure sank to 28.75 inches of mercury (974 hPa) on 19 August. Almost total destruction was seen from Venice to Buras. Ostrica Lock measured a storm surge of 16 feet (4.9 m). Water overwashed U.S. Highway 90 to a depth of 10 feet (3.0 m). (Submitted on March 12, 2018, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.)
2. Fort Jackson, Louisiana. The fort was occupied off and on for various military purposes from its completion until after World War I, when it served as a training station. It is now a National Historic Landmark and historical museum owned and operated by Plaquemines Parish. (Submitted on March 12, 2018, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.)
3. Battle of Forts Jackson and St. Philip. The Battle of Forts Jackson and St. Philip (April 18–28, 1862) was the decisive battle for possession of New Orleans in the American Civil War. The two Confederate forts on the Mississippi River south of the city were attacked by a Union Navy fleet. As long as the forts could keep the Federal forces from moving on the city, it was safe, but if they were negated, there were no fall-back positions to impede the enemy advance. (Submitted on March 12, 2018, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2018, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 40 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 12, 2018, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?