Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Evolution of Elegance
The Executive Committee hired architect Charles Alexander to design the Clubhouse. He designed the building in a Queen Anne style that complemented the natural beauty of the island and emphasized the rustic simplicity that the Jekyll Island Club embraced. It was completed for (what was considered) the modest price of $45,000.
At the heart of any Luxury resort or vacation retreat is sumptuous lodging. When the Club incorporated in 1885, they knew that the success of the Club depended on a splendid but simply elegant Clubhouse.
The Dubignon farmhouse would do for the Executive Committee's assessment of the island, but would never be adequate for the 53 members, their families, and guests.
The Jekyll Island Clubhouse was the final project for Chicago architect Charles Alexander. It was declared "a model of comfort and elegance." On April 14, 1889, the New York Times reported, "All have expressed themselves delighted with the island and clubhouse, and well they may, for it has not its equal North or South."
There is no attempt at display or fashion. Its comfortable clubhouse, charming winter
—NY Times, Sept 9,1889
Did you know? In November 1910, draft legislation to create the U.S. Federal Reserve was written at the Clubhouse.
Erected by Jekyll Island Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Man-Made Features • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 31° 3.516′ N, 81° 25.327′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Pier Road and Riverview Drive, on the right when traveling west on Pier Road. Marker is located on the grounds directly in front of the Jekyll Island Clubhouse, at the southwest corner of the bowling green. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 371 Riverview Drive, Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Evolution of Elegance (within shouting distance of this marker); Fairbank Cottage Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Men of Means (within shouting distance of this marker); First Transcontinental Call (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jekyll Island Club Wharf Arriving on This Island (about 400 feet away); Morgan Tennis Court (about 500 feet away); Up In Smoke (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Regarding The Clubhouse. The Jekyll Island Clubhouse is the centerpiece of the Jekyll Island Historic District.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Jekyll Island Historic District
Also see . . .
1. Jekyll Island Club History. The Island was purchased by the newly formed Jekyll Island Club which Munsey’s Magazine called, “the richest, the most exclusive, the most inaccessible club in the world.” The Club officially opened its doors in January 1888, quickly becoming a retreat for families that represented one sixth of the world's wealth. (Submitted on March 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Jekyll Island duck hunt that created the Federal Reserve. In the fall of 1907 the United States was in a recession, it's banking system lacked a lender of last resort mechanism, and an intricate network of directorships, loans, and collateral bonded the fate of many financial institutions together. The 1910 "duck hunt" on (Submitted on March 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Jekyll Island History.
Following the defeat of Melvin E. Thompson in the Georgia Governor's election of 1948, Jekyll Island was in a state of limbo. The new Governor Herman Talmadge was hesitant about the State of Georgia owning an island and decided in February of 1949 to appoint a committee to determine the long-term fate of Jekyll as well as lease the island to someone in the interim period. In February of 1950, the second year of the Whitakers' island lease, Gov. Talmadge formed the Jekyll Island State Park Authority. Through a legislative act the Authority was sanctioned to manage and carefully develop the (Submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. The Meeting at Jekyll Island.
A member of the exclusive Jekyll Island Club, most likely J.P. Morgan, arranged for the group to use the club’s facilities. Founded in 1886, the club’s membership boasted elites such as Morgan, Marshall Field, and William Kissam Vanderbilt I, whose mansion-sized “cottages” dotted the island. Munsey’s Magazine described it in 1904 as “the richest, the most exclusive, the most inaccessible” club in the world. Aldrich and Davison chose the attendees for their expertise, but Aldrich knew their ties to Wall Street could arouse suspicion about their motives and threaten the bill’s political passage. So he went to great lengths to keep the meeting secret, adopting the ruse of a duck hunting trip and instructing the men to come one at a time to a train terminal in New Jersey, where they could board his private train car. (Submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.