Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Andrews Beach
Historic St. Andrews Beach
On March 6, 1948, Jekyll Island opened as a state park for the citizens of Georgia. However, the new public seashore was not available to everyone, at first. Because of segregation, African Americans could not visit many areas of Jekyll Island, including the beach.
In 1950, a group of African Americans from Brunswick requested that a portion of the island be made available for black people to enjoy. As a result, an area on the South End of Jekyll Island was reserved for African American use. It was named St. Andrews Beach.
St. Andrews Beach was the only public beach open to African Americans in Georgia and one of only a few such beaches on the East Coast.
On September 24, 1955, a Beach Pavilion opened at St. Andrews Beach for the African American community. This Beach Pavilion, known originally as the "Colored Beach House," had dressing rooms, a concession stand and a covered picnic area.
Shortly after the Beach Pavilion opened, the St. Andrews Beach Corporation formed to develop a notable black-owned beach resort. In 1959, the Dolphin Club and Motor Hotel opened for business. The Dolphin
In 1960, Dr. J. Clinton Wilkes invited the black Georgia Dental Society to meet on Jekyll Island, forcing the rapid construction of the St. Andrews Auditorium to hold the event. The auditorium featured family reunions, dances, and concerts, adding to the popularity of the historically black beach resort.
The Dolphin Club’s heyday was short-lived. In 1964, social change swept across the country. The black community gained full access to amenities around the island for the first time due to a federal court order to integrate Jekyll's public facilities. The popularity of St. Andrews Beach faded as African Americans chose to visit recreational facilities on other areas of the island previously denied to them. The resort closed in 1966.
In 1968, the site became a Group Camp and Youth Center. The Georgia 4-H has operated the site since 1983, growing the camp into a year-round environmental education center.
Erected 2016 by Jekyll Island Authority.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 31° 1.085′ N, 81° 25.618′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on South Beachview Drive 2.3 miles south of Jekyll Island Causeway (Georgia Route 520), on the right when traveling south. Marker is located directly across the highway from Camp Jekyll. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 550 South Beachview Drive, Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Separate But Equal? (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dolphin Club Lounge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Beach Pavilion (about 500 feet away); The Dolphin Motor Hotel (about 500 feet away); Beach Access (about 700 feet away); Wanderer Memory Trail (approx. half a mile away); What Was Here Before? (approx. 2.2 miles away); Jekyll Island Boat House Site, Shipshape for the Season (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Historic St. Andrews Beach
Also see . . . St. Andrews.
In 2008, the Jekyll Island History Museum, the Jekyll Island Authority, and the Friends of Historic Jekyll Island commemorated (Submitted on March 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.