Cumberland Township near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Marye's Battery - Pegram's Battalion
Artillery Reserve - Hill's Corps
— Army of Northern Virginia —
Hill's Corps Artillery Reserve
Pegram's Battalion Marye's Battery
The Fredericksburg Artillery
Two Napoleons, Two 10 pounder Parrotts
July 1 This Battery fired the first cannon-shot of the battle from a point near the south side of the Chambersburg Pike on the ridge west of Herr's Tavern and was actively engaged until the close of the day's conflict.
July 2 Early in the morning took position here. Opened at intervals upon the Union lines and enfiladed their batteries when they sought to concentrate their fire upon the Confederate right.
July 3 Participated actively in all the operations of the artillery including the cannonade which preceded Longstreet's assault.
July 4 About sunset withdrew and began the march to Hagerstown.
Losses not reported in detail.
Erected 1910 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1850.
Location. 39° 49.189′ N, 77° 14.807′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scales's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); Third Army Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); Crenshaw's Battery - Pegram's Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); Ross's Battery - Lane's Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); Brockenbrough's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Pegram's Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); Zimmerman's Battery - Pegram's Battalion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lane's Brigade (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 995 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.