Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Christ Episcopal Church
— Vicksburg Heritage Walking Trail —
Vicksburg's Oldest Public Building
The cornerstone for Christ Episcopal was laid in 1839 but a fire and yellow fever epidemic delayed completion until 1843. The corner stone was laid by Bishop Leonidas Polk, who later served as a major general in the Confederate Army. During the siege, church doors were left open and daily services were held. All of the windows except one were destroyed by Union gunboat shelling. Two of the destroyed windows were later replaced with world renowned Tiffany windows.
To the east and up the hill you can see the cupola atop the Constitution Firehouse which was built in 1870 for $3,600. The cupola was actually constructed in 1837 for the original firehouse and was moved to the "New Firehouse" when it was built.
Before Firehouses; When a fire broke out, Vicksburg's citizens answered to the call of the courthouse bell, bringing buckets to form a "Bucket Brigade". Later, in the 1830's, every able-bodied male citizen of Vicksburg belonged to one of three volunteer fire companies. Then in 1885 Vicksburg established its first organized
Christ Episcopal Church (1900) prior to covering the brick with stucco in 1905
Erected 2017 by the City of Vicksburg. (Marker Number 9.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Events. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi, Vicksburg Heritage Walking Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 32° 21.21′ N, 90° 52.537′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Locust Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling south on Locust Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1115 Main Street, Vicksburg MS 39183, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Christ Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); Antebellum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge Lake (about 300 feet away); In Memory of Dr. Hugh S. Bodley (about 500 feet away); Anchuca (about 600 feet away); Happy Home (about 700 feet away); Main and Cherry (about 700 feet away); Business Men (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vicksburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 31, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 26, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.