Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Commerce Street was a rare diagonal street in Alexandria's first West End, which connected Duke and King Streets at an angle. Further west in Fairfax County, Duke Street changes its name to Little River Turnpike, an early colonial road that originally linked Northern Virginia's vast agricultural lands with Alexandria, also known as "Port City," on the Potomac. Wagons filled with tobacco, wheat, corn and other grains traversed this road on their way to the waterfront warehouses and docks. In
The short angled passage at Commerce Street was created and named specifically to facilitate commerce and trade in the growing city by eliminating the need for farm wagons to make sharp right angle turns within the city's existing street grid. Land for the street was conveyed to the town on January 1, 1798, by John Dundas, Abraham Faw and Francis Peyton to allow for construction of the roadway, thereby allowing the large wagons to maintain their speed and make gradual turns while heading to the waterfront.
Erected by City of Alexandria.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, The City of Alexandria series list.
Location. 38° 48.345′ N, 77° 3.162′ W. Marker is in Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on King Street (Virginia Route 7) west of South Fayette Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 King Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carver School (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. James McGuire House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Harris House (about 400 feet away); Alexandria, D.C. (about 500 feet away); L’Ouverture Hospital (about 500 feet away); Freedom House Museum (about 600 feet away); L'Overture Hospital HQ (about 700 feet away); Carver Nursery School / Post 129 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Old Town.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.