Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
George Washington in Alexandria
City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Two decades before the American Revolution, George Washington was loyal to the crown of England, and in that service he recruited his first soldiers and drilled them in the Market Square. In the spring of 1754, he marched out of Alexandria on his military campaign of the French and Indian War. Later, in 1763, he was chosen as a town trustee. When Alexandria's first bank opened its doors in 1792, George Washington was a stockholder and depositor.
Martha and George Washington attended services at nearby Christ Church where the family bought, and later rented, a box pew. The Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum at 105-107 South Fairfax Street still retains the records from when Martha Washington requested medicines and herbs to
How did St. Asaph Street get its name?
St. Asaph Street was named in honor of Rev. Jonathan Shipley, the English Bishop of St. Asaph, who, although never having set foot in America, supported the American cause for independence from Great Britain.
Erected by City of Alexandria.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, French and Indian • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the Virginia, The City of Alexandria series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1749.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 556 King Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Retail in Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); Photos of Historic Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin P. Backus Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Portner's (within shouting distance of this marker); Edgar Warfield (within shouting distance of this marker); Marshall House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Law Office of Cohen, Cohen, and Hirschkop (about 300 feet away); Lee-Fendall House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.