Fremont in Rockingham County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Historic Black Rocks Village / Historic Fremont, N.H.-Olde Poplin
Historic Black Rocks Village
Settled in the 1720's this section of Poplin, (now Fremont) between Scribner Road & Rowe's Gas Station at 225 Main Street, gradually grew into a thriving settlement called "Black Rocks Village." Through the years sawmills, gristmills, a woolen mill, 1800 Meetinghouse, parsonage, stores, taverns, inns, True's Hotel (1872-1906), boarding houses, blacksmith shops, gun-shops, shoe factory, schoolhouses, 1900 bandstand, 1908 band-house, barrel cooperage (1874-1999), 1894 town library, post offices, gas stations, restaurants, barber shops, doctor's office, 1936 fire station, milk dairy, tannery, baseball field, 1911 Town Hall, Robinson's Grove, 1856 Democratic Hall, 1857 Free-Will Baptist Church, 1925 Methodist Church, & Union Church (1865-1921) – all made up this quaint, prosperous village.
The first Civil War Riot in New England & the fourth within the United States took place here on duly 4, 1861 during the raising of a 150 foot-high liberty pole at Liberty Square.
The first Poplin town meeting took place at John Prescott Lovering's Inn on August
Historic Fremont, N.H.–Olde Poplin
A Pre-Revolutionary War Town
Fremont is a proud old town steeped in early American history. Originally part of Exeter & Brentwood, it was incorporated as POPLIN on June 22, 1764. It was renamed FREMONT on July 8, 1854 after the famous American West Explorer & first Republican Presidential Candidate in 1856 – John C. Fremont.
112 soldiers out of 552 Poplin residents & 2 slaves in 1775 fought in the Revolutionary War (1775-1783). Two died fighting for American Independence. Former residents Curtis Bean (1731-1833) & David Kenniston (1736-1852) were members of the 1773 Boston Tea Party. Kenniston was the last surviving member of the Tea Party dying at age 115 in 1852.
22 Fremont soldiers out of 99 died during the Civil War (1861-1865). Not one native Fremont Civil War soldier ever deserted!
The first Mast Tree Riot in America took place on the Fremont/Brentwood line in 1734. The unique 1800 Fremont Twin-Porch Meetinghouse is one of only two existing in the United States. Spaulding & Frost Cooperage – the oldest white pine barrel factory in the world operated here between 1874 & 1999.
Erected 2014 by Town of Fremont - 250th Anniversary Committee.
Topics. This Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 42° 59.404′ N, 71° 8.454′ W. Marker is in Fremont, New Hampshire, in Rockingham County. Marker is on Main Street (New Hampshire Route 107) south of Sandown Road, on the right when traveling south. Located in front of the the Fremont Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 295 Main Street, Fremont NH 03044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Prescott Lovering's Inn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Riot of 1861 (about 400 feet away); Spaulding & Frost Cooperage (about 600 feet away); Fremont Village Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Meeting House and Hearse House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mast Tree Riot of 1734 (approx. 3 miles away); 1867 (approx. 5.6 miles away); Josiah Bartlett (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
Also see . . .
1. History of Fremont - Olde Poplin. The first settlers of old Poplin came during the 1720's and early 1730's. Mills were built (Submitted on April 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Fremont, New Hampshire. Settled in the 1720s, Fremont was originally part of Exeter. The area was once famous for its heavy growth of high-quality eastern white pine trees, reserved for use as masts of the Royal Navy. The town was once home to the largest brickyard in the state, producing 5 million bricks a year, and to the downtown Spaulding & Frost Cooperage, established in 1874, one of the oldest operating wooden barrel manufacturers in the country. (Submitted on April 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Fremont, New Hampshire – August 10, 1959. On August 10, 1959, a B-52C Stratofortress bomber aircraft, (#54-2682) left Westover Air Force Base in Chicopee, Massachusetts, for a routine flight. Approximately fifteen minutes into the flight, while at 21,000 feet and climbing, crew members heard a loud “thud”. The noise was described in the Air Force investigation report as being “Like a water jug that had fallen (Submitted on April 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.