Winslow in Kennebec County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Fort Halifax Park
Native Americans inhabited this site at the confluence of the Kennebec and Sebasticook Rivers from at least 5000 years ago, until 1692. A pilgrim trading post was also located on this site in the 1650s.
Located within Fort Halifax Park is the oldest blockhouse in the United States, the last remnant of historic Fort Halifax. Built in 1754, the fort was garrisoned by Colonial Troops and their families for over a decade. During the Revolutionary War, the fort served as a stop on Benedict Arnold’s expedition to Quebec. It also hosted famous visitors including Aaron Burr, Chief Joseph Orono, and Paul Revere. By 1798 all that remained of Fort Halifax was the lone blockhouse which had fallen into disrepair. Through grants and generous donations, the Fort Halifax Blockhouse was restored and Fort Halifax Park was created and improved.
Engraved in this granite monument and the ground markers located within the park are the names of those whose financial contributions have helped implement the Fort Halifax Park Concept Master Plan adopted by the Winslow Town Council on July 11, 2011.
Land & Water Conservation Fund, Bangor Savings Bank, Somerset Stone and Stove
in memory of Arthur G. Bolduc, Ken and Deb Lavoie, Sappi North America
Parsons family in Memory of Cornish Family. Provost Monuments.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1754.
Location. 44° 32.383′ N, 69° 37.725′ W. Marker is in Winslow, Maine, in Kennebec County. Marker can be reached from Halifax Street (U.S. 201) 0.2 miles north of China Road (Maine Route 137). Marker is located within the Fort Halifax National Historic Site, near north end of the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waterville ME 04901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Halifax (within shouting distance of this marker); Immigration (approx. half a mile away); Lombard Log Hauler (approx. half a mile away); The Two Cent Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away); Waterville Maine WWI Marker (approx. 0.8 miles away); Waterville Maine Veteran's Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); Waterville Maine Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Heritage of the Kennebec River (approx. 3.6 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a large, new, polished granite slab with engraved inscription.
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Halifax National Historic Site
Also see . . . History of Fort Halifax Park.
Fort Halifax was built in two phases. A seven-week construction project led by Major General Edward Winslow, the namesake of the town, built a massive fortress with a big square blockhouse and four barracks inside. The fort’s new commander, Captain William Lithgow, overhauled Fort Halifax, creating a smaller more defensible structure. It included a second blockhouse, which you can still see today in the park. (Submitted on April 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.