Marion in Crittenden County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
to Little Rock, extended to Fort Smith and into
Indian Territory, (Oklahoma). Built by the
United States under supervision of the
Quartermasters Department of the United States
Army. Survey was begun October 1824,
and construction commenced
soon thereafter for the primary purpose of
transporting Chickasaw and Choctaw Tribes of
Indians from Mississippi to the Indian Territory,
starting in 1832. Soldiers and transports for the
Mexican War 1845-1848 used this road, as well as
soldiers and transports during the War Between
the States 1861-1865.
Pioneers used this route to Arkansas and to the west.
Erected 1931 by the William Strong Chapter Daughters Of The American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War, Mexican-American • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1824.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 East Military Road, Marion AR 72364, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Sultana Tragedy (here, next to this marker); The Loss of the Sultana (here, next to this marker); Margaret E. Woolfolk Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Marion School Auditorium-Gynamnasium (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Soldier's Memorial (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Confederate Soldier's Memorial (about 400 feet away); Rhodes Storefronts (about 500 feet away); Crittenden County Health Department (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Regarding Military Road. Military roads were authorized in the late 1820s. In 1828, an east-west military road from Memphis to Little Rock was completed. This route was extended west to Fort Smith in 1829.
The federal government spent approximately $250,000 constructing the Memphis to Fort Smith route, but the responsibility of maintenance was left entirely up to the territory. The struggling territorial general assembly was not able to provide funds for this upkeep, and
Because the road had become a major link to the southwest, Congress provided another $200,000 in 1830 to upgrade the road to an all-weather facility. However, these funds were exhausted before the entire route was completed to all-weather standards, and no additional funds were allocated prior to statehood in 1836.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 212 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 18, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.