St. Johnsbury in Caledonia County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Court House Grounds & Park
On June 28, 1790, Jonathan Arnold donated the land now occupied by the courthouse and park to the "South Parish" of the Village of St. Johnsbury for use as a "Buryal Ground."
By 1855 the burial ground had fallen into disrepair. Families started transferring their dead to the newer Mt. Pleasant Cemetery. St. Johnsbury's 1856 designation as the Shire Town of Caledonia County required the construction of a County Courthouse. Thus, arrangements were made to transfer all human remains that were still in the old cemetery. The original grant was also changed to read: "The piece of ground in said village heretofore used for a burying ground and from which the bodies interred there have recently been removed for the purpose of having erected thereon a Court House.”
In 1994, a decision was made to build an addition to the courthouse. Archeological investigations were conducted to ensure that no remaining bodies would be disturbed by the proposed construction. During studies from 1994 to 2000, 144 grave shafts were discovered and excavated and 28 full skeletons were exhumed. Of these only nine were adults.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 44° 25.088′ N, 72° 1.226′ W. Marker is in St. Johnsbury, Vermont, in Caledonia County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 2) south of Eastern Avenue (U.S. 2), on the right when traveling north. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted at ground-level on a granite boulder, in front of the Caledonia County Courthouse, adjacent to the front of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1126 Main Street, Saint Johnsbury VT 05819, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Johnsbury Athenaeum (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Johnsbury Trade School (approx. ¼ mile away); First American Platform Scale (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Camp Baxter (approx. one mile away); Passumpsic Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Northeastern Speedway (approx. 4.6 miles away); Moore Round Barn (approx. 5.3 miles away); Greenbank's Hollow (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Johnsbury.
Also see . . .
1. St "Jay" History.
An early settler was Dr. Jonathan Arnold, a member of the Continental Congress and author of Rhode Island's act of secession from the United Kingdom in May of 1776. Arnold left Rhode Island in 1787 and, with six other families, built homes at what is now the town center. By 1790, the village had grown to 143 inhabitants, and the first town meeting took place in Arnold's home that year, where the name St. Johnsbury was adopted. (Submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Richard Creifelds' Portrait of Jonathan Arnold.
Jonathan Arnold is considered the founder of the town of St. Johnsbury, as he obtained its grant from Governor Thomas Chittenden, led one of the first groups of permanent settlers to the town's current site in 1787, and helped establish its institutions, both civic and economic. This depiction of Arnold by New York portraitist Richard Creifelds reproduces, with some embellishment, an eighteenth-century miniature that is believed to have been created during Arnold's participation in the Continental Congress in Philadelphia in 1782—83 as a delegate from Rhode Island, which explains his wig and formal attire. (Submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Images for Caledonia County, Vermont
This link presents historic post card images of the Caledonia County Courthouse. (Submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.