Near Albion in Mendocino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Captain Fletcher and the Navarro Inn
Navarro River Redwoods State Park - National Register of Historic Places
Before European settlement, the Pomo peoples occupied much of the North Coast of California. The Navarro River formed the boundary between the Northern and Central Pomo. Navarro Beach was seasonally occupied as a place to gather shellfish, fish, seaweed, game, and salt. Sedges, roots and other vegetation, along with shells, feathers and magnesite beads were used to create beautiful and practical baskets.
The Scottish sailor Captain Charles Fletcher arrived in 1851, the first European settler on the Navarro Estuary. In 1860, Fletcher sold most of his land and a lumber mill was built here in 1861. Milled wood was transported by train on the north bank of the river, where it was loaded by pier onto waiting schooners.
In 1865 Captain Fletcher built and ran the Navarro Inn as a boarding facility for sailors whose cargo vessels anchored at the "doghole" of the Navarro River to take on timber shipments. The front porch of the Inn was considered a safe haven for Pomos passing through the rough mill town. Fletcher variously operated a ferry and built ships for the
The Inn stayed in the Fletcher family until 1926. It continued to operate as an Inn for travelers along the coast. As automobile travel became more common, the Inn also served as a summer retreat for families from inland who wished to escape the summer heat.
Beginning in the late 1930s, cottages, a store and gas station were added to the property. In 1948, part of the front porch was enclosed to create a separate bar and it became a popular dinner and roadhouse known as "Navarro-by-the-Sea." This operation continued under series of owners until the 1980s. The closed and deteriorating Inn was finally obtained by the California Department of Parks and Recreation in 1996.
In 2000, Navarro-by-the-Sea Center was formed as a non-profit organization to work in partnership with California State Parks to save the Inn and open it as a public visitor center. In 2009, the Navarro Inn and the nearby Mill House were listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Inn was stabilized in 2013 after years of planning and fundraising efforts,
Erected by California Department of Parks and Recreation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 39° 11.633′ N, 123° 45.432′ W. Marker is near Albion, California, in Mendocino County. Marker is on Navarro Beach Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albion CA 95410, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ford House (approx. 8 miles away); Temple Kwan Tai (approx. 8.1 miles away); Mendocino Presbyterian Church (approx. 8.1 miles away); Mendocino Masonic Hall (approx. 8.1 miles away); Point Cabrillo Light Station (approx. 11.2 miles away); History Pivots on a Rock (approx. 11.6 miles away); Jacob Green Jackson State Forest (approx. 15.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Draft of National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. The Navarro Inn and the Mill Manager’s House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As of April 2018, the listing had not been digitized by the National Park Service, but the California Department of Parks and Recreation has digitized (Submitted on April 25, 2018, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2018, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 25, 2018, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.