Westfield in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Invasion Route Shipping Port, Fishing Center
— History of the Coast —
Harbor Activity Timeline
1982 First Harbor Day celebration.
1971 Last commercial fishing boat is sold.
1962 Lighthouse is re-lighted.
1960 Corps of Engineers builds Daniel Reed breakwall and pier.
1913 Trolley service ends.
1870c Philimin Jackway starts fish oil business.
1855 Lighthouse is decommissioned.
1852 Commercial fishing begins in earnest.
1829 Lighthouse is built.
1818 First steamboat serves harbor.
1804 John McMahan builds mill.
1802 First settlers arrive in area.
1753 French troops build portage trail.
1679 First Europeans explore the harbor and creek.
The Fishing Industry
Today's recreational fishermen go after perch and pike, but once there was a thriving commercial fishing industry. The catch included herring, whitefish, bass, suckers, and 50 pound sturgeon. Whitefish and ellpout were harvested for fish oil.
Fishing Sailboat 1870s; Fishing Tug early 1900s; Modern Charter fishing boat.
A Popular Spot
The first Europeans to land here were on a military mission to cut a route to Chautauqua
[map] Note: Objects labeled with blue text no longer exist. Distances and relationships are not to scale in this artist's conception.
McMahan Mills. First settler and businessman John McMahan built a gristmill and sawmill on Chautauqua Creek.
Government Breakwater (started in 1846 but never completed)
Barcelona Company. Local businessmen formed a company to serve their vision of a large commercial village. They built a hotel and five stores.
Fishing camps and warehouses once lined the bay shore.
Steamboat Landing. The 'Fashion' and the 'Diamond' carried both passengers and freight.
Harbor of Refuge. A long-time dream came true when the breakwall and pier were built to provide a refuge for boaters.
The 'Sea Lion'. This ship is a replica of a 16th century sailing vessel that was built between 1971 and 1984. The ship sank in Lake Erie but was recovered, mounted here, and restoration began in 1999. [No longer present.]
The Portage Trail. French troops cut a wagon road to Chautauqua Lake and opened the Ohio Valley to invasion from Canada.
[blue text] Button's Inn. Built around 1823 to
[blue text] Chautauqua Traction Trolley. A trolley station served passengers arriving at the northern terminus of the Inter-Lake Trolley Line.
Barcelona Inn. (Privately owned, please repect owners privacy.) Built in 1829 at a cost of $2,700, the tower is 40' high and 22' in diameter. The walls are 3½' thick at the base, tapering to 2' thick at the top. This lamp was fueled with gas, the first gas powered lighthouse in the world.
Daniel Reed Pier. A pier was originally sought to save the fishing industry, but it is a shift to recreational use that has revitalized the harbor.
Seaway Trail harbors have attracted commercial activities since the arrival of the early explorers.
Erected by Seaway Trail, Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway series list.
Location. 42° 20.483′ N, 79° 35.604′ W. Marker is in Westfield, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker is on East Lake Road (New York State Route 5) 0.2 miles east of North Portage Road (New York State Route 394), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Westfield NY 14787, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The French & Indian War 1756-1763 (a few steps from this marker); Barcelona Light House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mack House (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Lincoln-Bedell Statue Park (approx. 1˝ miles away); In Memoriam (approx. 1.6 miles away); In Memory (approx. 1.6 miles away); McClurg Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church and Society (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Westfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 19, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.