Lyons in Wayne County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Lyons Drydock
Thee Lyons drydock, located just west of the village was the last drydock built on the New York State Canal System after nearly a century of improvements.
Drydocks like the one at Lyons were needed so that canal boats could be maintained and have a place to winter over. The original Barge Canal plan called for public drydocks at Schuylerville, Waterford, Little Falls, Baldwinsville, Rochester, and Lockport. Later, when the Baldwinsville site was dropped, the facility at Lyons was added.
The Lyons drydock was completed in 1931, with a storehouse and machine shop added the next year. Lyons became one of two principal drydock sites in the canal system (the other was Waterford).
Today, the Lyons shop repairs equipment still used on the canal. The drydock is used to berth tugs in the off season and stores Dipper Dredge No. 3, one of the original Barge Canal dredges.
[caption] Dipper Dredge No. 3 today, at the Lyons drydock. Inset photo shows the size of the two scoops.
Dipper Dredges And Derricks
Dipper dredges and steam derricks were the heavy equipment
In 1911, barge machinery claimed the life of a young man from one of Lyons most prominent families. Calvin Hotchkiss Jr. grandson of H. G. Hotchkiss (the "Peppermint King"), stumbled on a rain-slickened deck and fell into the gears of a dipper dredge that was excavating a section of the canal near Lyons. Within seconds the operator stopped the machine, but not before the young man had suffered a fatal injury.
[captions] A dipper dredge at work during the construction of the Barge Canal c.1910. Derrick barges on the canal in western New York c.1910. Gears on the boom of Dipper Dredge No. 3.
Erected by New York State Canals.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Erie Canal series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1931.
Location. 43° 3.811′ N, 77° 1.243′ W. Marker is in Lyons, New York, in Wayne County. Marker is on Old Lyons Road, 0.4 miles west of Gansz Road. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Naming of Lyons (approx. 1.2 miles away); G. Winston Dobbins Memorial Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 55 (approx. 1.2 miles away); First School (approx. 1.2 miles away); H.G. Hotchkiss/Hotchkiss Essential Oils (approx. 1.2 miles away); Wayne County Historical Society (approx. 1.2 miles away); H.G. Hotchkiss Peppermint Mural (approx. 1.2 miles away); H.G. Hotchkiss (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lyons.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 23, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.