El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Oldest Mission in Texas
Re-established here in 1682. It has been named successively: Sacramento de Los Tiguas de Ysleta; Corpus Christi de Los Tiguas De Ysleta (1691); San Antonio de los Tiguas de Ysleta (1744); and Nuestra Senora del Carmen (1874). Present Chapel has walls and bells of 1744 building.
Still ministers to the Tiguas.
Erected 1970 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3843.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Native Americans.
Location. 31° 41.492′ N, 106° 19.654′ W. Marker is in El Paso, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Zaragoza Road and Alameda Avenue (State Highway 20). Marker is located at the northwest Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 South Zaragoza Road, El Paso TX 79907, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Mission and Pueblo in Texas (here, next to this marker); Alderete-Candelaria House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ysleta Plaza (about 600 feet away); San Antonio de Senecú (approx. 1½ miles away); Captain Frank Jones (approx. 1½ miles away); The Camino Real (approx. 2.6 miles away); Socorro (approx. 2.7 miles away); Socorro Mission La Purísima (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
Also see . . . Ysleta Mission. (Submitted on November 20, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,066 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on June 5, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.