Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In the year 1861 the legislature of Maryland, called into extraordinary session by Governor Thomas Holliday Hicks, held session in this building owned by the Evangelical Reformed Church (now the Evangelical and Reformed - United Church of Christ).
After convening in the court house on April 26, the senators and delegates assembled here on April 27. The senators on the second floor and the delegates on the third floor.
A peace and safety bill was referred to a joint committee and reported favorably, but after an amendment demanding secession was rejected the bill was recommitted. The legislature adjourned in September without passage of the bill because of lack of a quorum due to the arrest of a number of senators and delegates by Federal order, and Maryland never seceded from the Union.
On February 15, 1961, the legislature met again in this building to commemorate the Civil War session.
From Frederick County
1861 Session | 1961 Session
Thomas J. Glaggett | Charles H. Collins
John A. Johnson | William M. Hough
Andrew Sessler, Jr. | Joseph B. Payne
Jonathan Routzahn | Gary L. Literback
William B. Salmon | C. Clifton Verts
Delegate | Delegate
Dedicated on February 15, 1961
J. Millard Tawes, Governer of Maryland
Maryland Civil War Centennial Commission
George L. Radcliffe, Chairman
Frederick County Civil War Centennial, Inc.
C Lease Bussard, President
Erected 1961 by Maryland Civil War Centennial Commission / Frederick County Civil War Centennial, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • War, US Civil.
Location. 39° 24.917′ N, 77° 24.64′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and Market Street, on the right when traveling east on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 52 North Market Street, Frederick MD 21701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In April 1861 (here, next to this marker); Capital For A Summer (here, next to this marker); The News (a few steps from this marker); John Thomas Schley (within shouting distance of this marker); The Congregation in Frederick (within shouting distance of this marker); North Market Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 300 feet away); Site of Frederick County's First Y.M.C.A. (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
Also see . . . The General Assembly Moves to Frederick, 1861. A link on the page displays a photograph of Kemp Hall, circa 1870. (Submitted on September 25, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,975 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on June 19, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on June 19, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.