Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Fort Stanton

 
 
Fort Stanton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, May 20, 2018
1. Fort Stanton Marker
Inscription.  Named for Captain Henry W. Stanton, Fort Stanton was established May 4, 1855 as a military fort to protect settlers from Apache attacks. Operated as a military fortification until 1896, it played a part in the Civil War, was the first Tuberculosis Hospital in New Mexico, was an internment camp for German seamen during World War II, and is known for heroes such as Kit Carson, Black Jack Pershing, Buffalo Soldiers of the 8th and 9th Cavalry, and the notorious Billy the Kid. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and Fort Stanton oversees thousands of acres surrounding the fort.
 
Erected by National Society Daughters of the American Colonists.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or CastlesScience & MedicineWar, US CivilWar, World II. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Colonists series list.
 
Location. 33° 29.774′ N, 105° 31.477′ W. Marker is in Fort Stanton, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker
A building at Fort Stanton image. Click for full size.
By Heinz Landeck, April 7, 2017
2. A building at Fort Stanton
is at the intersection of Billy the Kid Trail (State Highway 220) and Black Jack Pershing Road, on the right when traveling west on Billy the Kid Trail. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Black Jack Pershing Road, Fort Stanton NM 88323, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Stanton (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Stanton (within shouting distance of this marker); Stables and Corrals (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buildings 17 - 20 (about 600 feet away); Officer’s Quarters (about 700 feet away); Community House (about 700 feet away); Fort Stanton Medical Center (about 700 feet away); Chapel (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stanton.
 
An additional view of a building at Fort Stanton image. Click for full size.
By Heinz Landeck, April 7, 2017
3. An additional view of a building at Fort Stanton
POW camp remains at Fort Stanton image. Click for full size.
By Heinz Landeck, April 7, 2017
4. POW camp remains at Fort Stanton
This is part of the old German POW camp in Fort Stanton. This building was a swimming pool built in 1944.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 29, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.   2, 3, 4. submitted on May 3, 2020, by Heinz Landeck of El Paso, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 7, 2020