Near Roma in Starr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mission Mier a Visita
this site was
Established in 1750 as a part of
José de Escandón’s project to
settle the region and civilize
and Christianize the Indians.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3405.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1750.
Location. 26° 27.626′ N, 99° 1.78′ W. Marker is near Roma, Texas, in Starr County. Marker is at the intersection of North Grant Street (U.S. 83) and Loma Blanca Road, on the right when traveling north on North Grant Street. Marker is located in a pull-out, on the east side of the road, at this intersection, about 3 miles north of Roma. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Roma TX 78584, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 13 miles of this markerThe Mier Expedition (approx. 2.6 miles away); San Agustín de Laredo a Visita (approx. 12.4 miles away).
More about this marker. This is a 4-foot high, gray granite, Texas 1936 Centennial marker, included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series.
Also see . . .
1. José de Escandón. José de Escandón is known as the colonizer and first governor of the colony of Nuevo Santander, which extended from the Pánuco River in Mexico to the Guadalupe River in Texas. He founded over twenty towns or villas and a number of missions in the colony, including Camargo, Reynosa, Mier, and Revilla south of the Rio Grande and Laredo and Nuestra Señora de los Dolores Hacienda north of the Rio Grande. For his colonization efforts Escandón is sometimes called the "father" of the lower Rio Grande valley. (Submitted on June 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Spanish Missions in Texas. In 1749, in a major colonizing effort along the Rio Grande, four towns were founded on the south bank of the river in Mexico: Reynosa, Camargo, Mier and Revilla (now Guerrero). Some time later, the missions in these settlements all established outposts on the Texas side when some of the settlers began to move across the river. These outposts were visitas and took their names from those missions. A visita was a kind of country chapel that was visited by the priests for Mass or to administer sacraments. The Mexican city of Mier was the site of the mission La Purísima Concepción, and across the river in present-day Starr County was Mission Mier a Visita, begun sometime in the mid-1750s (Submitted on June 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.