Rio Grande City in Starr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Agustín de Laredo a Visita
San Agustín de
Laredo a Visita
Established in 1749 as a part of
José de Escandón’s project to
settle the region and civilize
and Christianize the Indians.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4936.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 26° 22.281′ N, 98° 51.378′ W. Marker is in Rio Grande City, Texas, in Starr County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 83) west of West 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located in a pull-out on the north side of the highway, about 2 miles west of downtown Rio Grande City. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rio Grande City TX 78582, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Rio Grande City (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site of Old Rancho Davis (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site of Cortina Battle (approx. 2.3 miles away); Rio Grande City, C.S.A (approx. 2.3 miles away); Starr County (approx. 2.3 miles away); Immaculate Conception School (approx. 2.3 miles away); Gregorio Barrera (approx. 2.3 miles away); José de Escandón (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rio Grande City.
More about this marker. Marker is located at the south edge of the Fordyce Nature And Hiking Trail Park. This is a 4-foot high, gray granite, Texas 1936 Centennial marker, included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series.
Also see . . .
1. José de Escandón. José de Escandón is known as the colonizer and first governor of the colony of Nuevo Santander, which extended from the Pánuco River in Mexico to the Guadalupe River in Texas. He founded over twenty towns or villas and a number of missions in the colony, including Camargo, Reynosa, Mier, and Revilla south of the Rio Grande and Laredo and Nuestra Señora de los Dolores Hacienda north of the Rio Grande. For his colonization efforts Escandón is sometimes called the "father" of the lower Rio Grande valley. (Submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Spanish Missions in Texas. In 1749, in a major colonizing effort along the Rio Grande, four towns were founded on the south bank of the river in Mexico: Reynosa, Camargo, Mier and Revilla (now Guerrero). Some time later, the missions in these settlements all established outposts on the Texas side when some of the settlers began to move across the river. These outposts were visitas and took their names from those missions. A visita was a kind of country chapel that was visited by the priests for Mass or to administer sacraments. In the mid-1750s a visita was established from San Agustín de Laredo mission in Camargo, Mexico, near the present-day Rio Grande City. There is a state historical marker 2 miles west of Rio Grande City on US 83. (Submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 150 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.