Zapata in Zapata County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mission Revilla a Visita
In the vicinity of this site was
Established in 1750 as a part of
José de Escandón’s project to
settle the region and civilize
and Christianize the Indians.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3410.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1750.
Location. 26° 54.1′ N, 99° 16.007′ W. Marker is in Zapata, Texas, in Zapata County. Marker is on U.S. 83 south of 7th Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located on the Zapata County Courthouse Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 Hidalgo Boulevard, Zapata TX 78076, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Zapata (within shouting distance of this marker); Old RamireñoOld Lopeño (approx. 16½ miles away).
More about this marker. This is a 4-foot high, gray granite, Texas 1936 Centennial marker, included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Also see . . .
1. José de Escandón. José de Escandón is known as the colonizer and first governor of the colony of Nuevo Santander, which extended from the Pánuco River in Mexico to the Guadalupe River in Texas. He founded over twenty towns or villas and a number of missions in the colony, including Camargo, Reynosa, Mier, and Revilla south of the Rio Grande and Laredo and Nuestra Señora de los Dolores Hacienda north of the Rio Grande. For his colonization efforts Escandón is sometimes called the "father" of the lower Rio Grande valley. (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Spanish Missions in Texas. In 1749, in a major colonizing effort along the Rio Grande, four towns were founded on the south bank of the river in Mexico: Reynosa, Camargo, Mier and Revilla (now Guerrero). Some time later, the missions in these settlements all established outposts on the Texas side when some of the settlers began to move across the river. These outposts were visitas and took their names from those missions. A visita was a kind of country chapel that was visited by the priests for Mass or to administer sacraments. One of these visitas was in Zapata County. It was an outpost of the Mission San Francisco Solano de Ampuero that was in the Mexican town of Revilla. Called Mission Revilla a Visita, it is commemorated with a state historical marker in the present-day city of Zapata at the courthouse plaza. (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.