Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Petersburg in Dinwiddie County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Kitchen Quarter

The Banks House

 

— Pamplin Historical Park —

 
The Kitchen Quarter Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2008
1. The Kitchen Quarter Marker
Inscription.  The building before you is a rare example of an original slave quarter. Milled lumber and the exclusive use of cut nails suggests that it was built around 1840 to provide two slave families with a workroom and an overhead loft for storage or sleeping. The Banks House quarter featured a weather-proof shingle roof and a tight plank floor, and was elevated for ventilation and ease of cleaning underneath. Two windows incorporated into each apartment allowed for sufficient air and light.

While the standard of slave housing increased considerably during the nineteenth century, masters typically reserved well-built frame quarters for higher-status slaves like domestics and artisans. The presence of a large cooking hearth in the western room and the proximity of the quarter to the Banks House demonstrate that it served as the plantation kitchen as well as providing housing for slaves. Following the Civil War, a section of the partition between the two apartments was removed to adapt the house for single-family occupancy. The sparse furnishings depict the lifestyle of African-American tenant farmers in the years immediately following the Civil
Marker at the Banks House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2008
2. Marker at the Banks House
The Kitchen Quarter and marker are located behind the Banks House.
Click or scan to see
this page online
War.
 
Erected by Pamplin Historical Park.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureArchitectureWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
 
Location. 37° 11.526′ N, 77° 27.937′ W. Marker is near Petersburg, Virginia, in Dinwiddie County. Marker can be reached from Hofheimer Way, on the left when traveling south. Marker is in Pamplin Historical Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. After the Breakthrough: April 2, 1865 (a few steps from this marker); The Civil War Years (within shouting distance of this marker); History of the Banks House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Banks House (within shouting distance of this marker); A.P. Hill Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Confederate Counterattack (approx. 0.6 miles away); Where Hill Fell (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Breakthrough (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
 
More about this marker. The center of the marker contains a photograph of the “Interior of a black family’s home, circa 1900.” A smaller photo of “The Banks House kitchen Quarter hearth” also appears on the marker.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers in the Banks House section of Pamplin Historical Park.
 
Also see . . .
1. Pamplin Historical Park. (Submitted on September 30, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
The Banks House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2008
3. The Banks House
The Banks House served as Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s headquarters following the Battle of the Breakthrough on April 2, 1865. The Kitchen Quarter is located behind it.

2. The Petersburg Campaign, 1864-5. (Submitted on September 30, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
 
The Kitchen Quarter Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, October 21, 2021
4. The Kitchen Quarter Marker
Kitchen Quarter on the right, shown in its proximity to the Banks House.
Pamplin Historical Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2008
5. Pamplin Historical Park
The Kitchen Quarter Marker is located in Pamplin Historical Park near the Banks House.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 30, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 804 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 30, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   4. submitted on October 28, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.   5. submitted on September 30, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11956

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 23, 2022