Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Jefferson in Marion County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The George T. Todd House

 
 
The George T. Todd House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
1. The George T. Todd House Marker
Inscription.  Capt. George Todd (1839-1913) was a Confederate veteran, ex-district attorney, former state legislator, and senior member of East Texas Bar. He built this home in 1893 for his family: wife Marion (Miller); sons Van Dyke, A. Miller, Charles C., and William H.: and daughters Eva C., Mary V. (later Mrs. J. S. Lewis), and Lula D. (later Mrs. L. E. Hough).

Architecture is late Victorian featuring a corner tower with mansard roof. Descendants still own and preserve the structure.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

 
Erected 1974 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8096.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 32° 45.597′ N, 94° 20.868′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Texas, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of North Polk Street (County Road 134) and East Clarksville Street, on the left when traveling north on North Polk Street. Located on
The George T. Todd House with marker just visible above similar marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
2. The George T. Todd House with marker just visible above similar marker.
the porch. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 North Polk Street, Jefferson TX 75657, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Home of Captain George T. Todd (a few steps from this marker); Torrans-Clopton-Spellings House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Meat Packing Plant (about 800 feet away); The Brooks House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Immaculate Conception Catholic Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First Texas Artificial Gas Plant (approx. ¼ mile away); Jefferson Public Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Sterne Fountain (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
 
Also see . . .  Texas State Historical Association article on George T. Todd. (Submitted on July 2, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 14, 2020