San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1950 by The California Centennials Commission in cooperation with San Diego County Historical Markers Committee, September 2, 1950. (Marker Number 67.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era • Exploration. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, the E Clampus Vitus, and the Portolá Expedition series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1769.
Location. 32° 45.566′ N, 117° 11.771′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. Marker is at the intersection of Taylor Street and Presidio Drive, on the right when traveling north on Taylor Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Diego CA 92103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Derby Dike (here, next to this marker); La Playa Trail (here, next to this marker); Fray Junipero Serra Sylvester Pattie (about 500 feet away); San Diego Presidio Site (about 600 feet away); George White Marston (approx. 0.2 miles away); Junipero Serra Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site with Many Cultures / Un Sitio de Muchas Culturas (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Diego.
Regarding Serra Palm. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.67
Site of the palm planted in 1769 by Padre Junípero Serra when he arrived at San Diego. Here the four divisions of the Portolá Expedition met on July 1, 1769. The famous 'El Camino Real,' most celebrated trail in California, begins here.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,680 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 1, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 5. submitted on April 8, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.