Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cooper in Delta County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

DeSpain Bridge

(Site 4.2 miles Southwest)

 
 
DeSpain Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
1. DeSpain Bridge Marker
Inscription.  Located where the Bonham-Jefferson Road crossed the South Sulphur River, this pioneer bridge served the area's rich cotton trade for some 20 years.

It was constructed before 1850 by landowner Brig DeSpain and his neighbors to provide access to the county seat—Tarrant—in Hopkins County. The land was originally awarded to the family of Randolph DeSpain, a Texas Revolutionary soldier who was killed in the massacre at Goliad in 1836.

Strongly built of native oak and bois d'arc wood, the bridge withstood heavy traffic of ox-wagons and horse-drawn vehicles. The narrow ridge of land where it was situated was known as "Granny's Neck," for Mrs. Mary Sinclair, who lived in the vicinity.

Until cotton and corn became important crops, the South Sulphur River ran clear. Afterward, eroded dirt from plowed fields muddied its waters.

Shortly after 1870 — the year Delta County was organized — heavy rains washed out the bridge. The State of Texas built a new one, which took the name of G. W. Harper, Toll Keeper. Later Hopkins and Delta counties assumed maintenance of this new bridge, which
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
continued to channel cotton and corn wagons between the two regions for several decades.
 
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 6933.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureBridges & ViaductsWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 33° 21.732′ N, 95° 36.506′ W. Marker is near Cooper, Texas, in Delta County. Marker is on Texas Route 154, 0.1 miles west of Texas Route 19, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cooper TX 75432, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hiram Rattan (approx. 1.4 miles away); Oaklawn Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Delta County (approx. 3.4 miles away); First National Bank (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Texas Livery Stable (approx. 4.8 miles away); Nathaniel L. Corbet (approx. 4.8 miles away); Cooper Rail Depot (approx. 5 miles away); Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A. (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cooper.
 
Looking east on TX-154 towards TX-19. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
2. Looking east on TX-154 towards TX-19.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 518 times since then and 111 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=119785

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024