Haddonfield in Camden County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
King’s Road / Chew’s Landing Road
Laid out in 1681 over a portion
of the trail of the
Lenni Lenape Indians running from
Perth Amboy to Salem.
Chew’s Landing Road
Used by the
early New Jersey colonists.
This stone commemorates
the spirit of humanity and
kindness existing between the
colonists of New Jersey
Unalachtigo Lenape tribe
the original owners
of these lands.
“Not one drop of our blood have you spilled in battle; not an acre of our land have you taken but by our consent.”
From a memorial to the New Jersey Legislature by Chief Shawuskukhkung.
Erected 1936 by The New Jersey Society of the Colonial Dames of America.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1681.
Location. 39° 53.617′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Haddonfield NJ 08033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hadrosaurus foulkii (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Hadrosaurus foulkii Sculpture (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Jersey Building (approx. half a mile away); Jonas Cattell (approx. half a mile away); In Memory of Elizabeth Haddon (approx. 0.6 miles away); Reeves-Glover House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Quaker Graveyard (approx. 0.6 miles away); Guard House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Haddonfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,068 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on July 28, 2018, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 29, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.