Richmond in Little River County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Confederate Camp at Richmond / Richmond Church and Cemetery
On Aug. 28, 1864, Confederate Gen. Sterling Price led an army from Camden on a raid that took them through Missouri, Kansas and the Indian Territory before they returned to Arkansas at Laynesport in Little River County on Dec. 2, having suffered heavy losses. Many of Price's Missouri troops established a camp at Richmond on Dec. 5, recovering from the campaigns rigors while waiting to learn where their winter camp would be located. The Confederate troops left their camp at Richmond on Dec. 24 to join the rest of the army at Washington.
Around 1850, Judge Robert H. Scott and his wife, Sarah Nicholson Scott, donated about 5 acres for a Baptist church and cemetery near their home, about 2 miles east of Richmond. Lewis W. Davis, whose son Jeff would later serve as Arkansas governor and U.S. Senator, preached here. Confederate soldiers who died while camped near here for 3 weeks in December 1864 were buried in the cemetery. Several of Judge Scott's relatives who fought in the war lie in the family plot. As many
Erected 2012 by Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Little River County Historical Society Preserve America, National Park Service, Department of the Interior. (Marker Number 42.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1864.
Location. 33° 38.332′ N, 94° 11.021′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Arkansas, in Little River County. Marker can be reached from Old Richmond Road (County Road 17) 1.6 miles south of County Road 714, on the right when traveling south. Located deep within the Richmond Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Old Richmond Road, Ashdown AR 71822, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Little River County (approx. 3.7 miles away); a different marker also named Little River County (approx. 3.7 miles away); Little River County War Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); Mills Family Story (approx. 7.3 miles away); Original Site of Little River County SeatAnderson Ferry (approx. 10.2 miles away); Will Reed Farm Home (approx. 10.2 miles away); Red Lick Methodist Church (approx. 11.8 miles away in Texas).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.