Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lake Oswego in Clackamas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Oswego Landing

 
 
Oswego Landing Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 29, 2018
1. Oswego Landing Marker
Inscription.  In the early 19th century, the river landing at the mouth of Oswego Creek was a convenient camping place for explorers, fur traders, and pioneers. In the words of one old timer, it was "a stopping place, a sort of a relay station for boats both large and small, plying up and down the river between Astoria and Champoeg."

In 1850 Albert Alonzo Durham and his wife Miranda filed a Donation Land Claim on 640 acres that included the river landing and the creek. Durham built a sawmill on the upper part of the creek and shipped lumber to San Francisco and the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) from the landing. He founded a town on the bluff above the river and named it after Oswego, New York.

The same features that attracted Durham to this spot made it an ideal location for an iron furnace. The lake provided waterpower and the landing provided access to shipping. The landing remained the town's transportation hub until the end of the steamboat era. For the next 60 years the beach was an unofficial park where people launched boats, fished, swam, and picnicked. Every spring between 75 and 250 Gypsies or Romani arrived to camp beside the river for

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
two or three weeks.

In 1945 the City purchased the twelve-and-a-half-acre site for a municipal park. In 1952 the City named the park after City Councilman George Rogers in appreciation for his devoted efforts to develop and maintain the grounds.

-

(Timeline above text:)

1850-1858 A.A. Durham files a Donation Land Claim that includes the landing, creek, and future town site.
1858-1864 The Episcopal Church purchases most of Durham's Claim and establishes a missionary school.
1864-1877 The Oregon Iron Company purhases the riverfront site for a blast furnace.
1877-1882 The Oswego Iron Company acquires the river landing and furnace site.
1882-1945 The Oregon Iron & Steel Company purchases the river landing and furnace site.
1945-2000 The City of Oswego purchases the site for a park and names it after George Rogers in 1952.

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceParks & Recreational AreasSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 45° 24.632′ N, 122° 39.639′ W. Marker is in Lake Oswego, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Old River Road and Green Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake Oswego OR 97034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking

Oswego Landing Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 29, 2018
2. Oswego Landing Marker - wide view
The marker is visible here on the right side of the interior of the covered walkway.
distance of this marker. The First People (here, next to this marker); Lower Oswego Creek Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Salamander (within shouting distance of this marker); the man from k̓ašxəʼkšix returned with eels to feed his people (within shouting distance of this marker); Green Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); Iron Company Worker's Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Rogers House - 1929 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake Oswego.
 
Oswego Landing, as seen from the overlook at the top of the steps leading down to the landing image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 29, 2018
3. Oswego Landing, as seen from the overlook at the top of the steps leading down to the landing
Marker photo: Furnace and landing image. Click for full size.
Photo courtesy of the Lake Oswego Public Library, circa 1910
4. Marker photo: Furnace and landing
The river landing and furnace around 1910. The Old River Road from Portland to West Linn crossed the bridge on the left.
Marker photo: Bathers and logs image. Click for full size.
Photo courtesy of the Oswego Heritage Council, circa 1921
5. Marker photo: Bathers and logs
Bathers on the beach in 1921. In the background, logs for the Crown-Williamette paper mill float beside the log hoist used to lift them onto railcars.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 8, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=121328

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024