Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Weches in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas

 
 
Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 28, 2018
1. Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas Marker
Inscription.  First Spanish Mission in East Texas. Established in 1690 by Franciscan friars to convert the Tejas Indians. "Tejas", a Spanish rendition of the Indian word for "friend", was in time adopted as the state name.

The founding party was led by Capt. Alonso de León, a veteran explorer making his fifth journey into Texas. He was to see if the Tejas desired a mission and to find any remaining threat of the Frenchman La Salles' expedition of 1685. Finding none, De León proceeded to this site. As the Tejas were willing to accept missionaries, he built a dwelling and church of rough-hewn logs near a brook. The church was dedicated on June 1, 1690. Leaving Father Damian Massanet in charge, De León departed on July 4.

Three years later, however, the mission was empty. Lack of sufficient defense, the isolated location, epidemics, and the insincerity of the Indians (who took the Spaniards' gifts but not their religion) contributed to its failure. In 1693 it was abandoned, although later twice re-established and renamed.

In spite of this, Spanish officials were inspired by the Tejas effort to make long-range plans for future
Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 28, 2018
2. Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas Marker
expeditions, which marked the beginning of the Spanish mission and colonization movement in Texas.
 
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7013.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail marker series.
 
Location. 31° 32.476′ N, 95° 14.071′ W. Marker is near Weches, Texas, in Houston County. This marker has recently been relocated away from the present park entrance. The park is in the process of building a new visitors center and entrance to the park approximately 0.2 miles west of the present park entrance. The marker has been moved near this new entrance. Although the roads in this part of the park are currently blocked off to traffic, I was able to reach the marker on foot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Park Road 44, Grapeland TX 75844, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Community of Weches (approx. half a mile away); Weches CCC Camp (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mission San Francisco de los Tejas (approx. 0.6 miles away); Glover School (approx. 2.2 miles away); Mission Santissimo Nombre de Maria
Mission Tejas State Park entrance image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, April 19, 2009
3. Mission Tejas State Park entrance
(approx. 4.6 miles away); Pine Springs Campground (approx. 5˝ miles away); Site of Neches Indian Village (was approx. 6.1 miles away but has been reported permanently removed. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weches.
 
Also see . . .  San Francisco de los Tejas Mission - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 9, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Mission San Francisco De Los Tejas image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, April 19, 2009
4. Mission San Francisco De Los Tejas
Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas Replica image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 28, 2018
5. Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas Replica
 

More. Search the internet for Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,494 times since then and 54 times this year. Last updated on August 9, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.   3, 4. submitted on February 3, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas.   5. submitted on August 9, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement