Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Randallstown in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church and Cemetery

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

 
 
Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, 08-12-2007
1. Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church and Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Mt. Paran Church was incorporated September 18, 1841. The chruch was called Soldier’s Delight prior to 1841 and that congregation began circa 1776. The oldest legible tombstone is that of Robert Gilchrist, dated October 17, 1767. The oldest known deed mentions this area as the Plains of Paran, used as a place of worship and burial by the Society of Christians called Presbyterians dated May 4, 1784.
 
Erected by the Maryland Historical Society In memory of Elder Conamore Burt. (Marker Number 222.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites ⛪ series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 4, 1808.
 
Location. 39° 23.498′ N, 76° 50.143′ W. Marker is near Randallstown, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker can be reached from Liberty Road. The marker in front of the church and is closest to the rear entrance off Lyons Mill Road approximately 0.2 miles
Mt. Paran Church image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, 08-12-2007
2. Mt. Paran Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
from intersection of Liberty and Lyons Mill Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10308 Liberty Road, Randallstown MD 21133, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Tavern (approx. 1.2 miles away); Soldiers Delight (approx. 1.6 miles away); Granite National Historic District (approx. 3.4 miles away); Garrison Forest Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Original Bell of the Franklin Academy (approx. 4.1 miles away); Original Cornerstone of the Franklin Senior High School (approx. 4.1 miles away); Hannah More Academy (approx. 4.2 miles away); In Memory of William Maxwell Wood, MD (approx. 4½ miles away).
 
Regarding Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church and Cemetery. Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

The oldest church in Baltimore Presbytery and the first Presbyterian church in Baltimore County, the Mt. Paran Presbyterian Church has its origins in the Patapsco Church which was established
Grave Markers image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, 08-12-2007
3. Grave Markers
in 1715. The Mt. Paran church was incorporated in 1841. The present congregation worships in a white clapboard building constructed in 1883 on the site of the original church structure. The church property also contains the first church cemetery in the Randallstown area.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,897 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on August 21, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122235

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2021