Westover in Somerset County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Rehoboth Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Reverend Francis Makemie
began his ministry
in 1706 built this church
Ruins of Coventry Episcopal Church
Erected by State Roads Commission. (Marker Number 224.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites series list.
Location. 38° 2.713′ N, 75° 40.118′ W. Marker is in Westover, Maryland, in Somerset County. Marker is at the intersection of MD 667 Rehoboth Road and Coventry Parish Road, on the right when traveling south on MD 667 Rehoboth Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31330 Rehoboth Road, Westover MD 21871, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Rehoboth Episcopal Church, Erected in 1682 (approx. half a mile away); Coventry Parish Church (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Rehoboth Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Rehoboth (approx. 4.4 miles away); Sturgis One Room School (approx. 5.8 miles away); Costen House (approx. 5.9 miles away); First Site of Washington Academy (approx. 6.4 miles away); Boundary Line (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Westover.
Regarding Rehoboth Presbyterian Church. Rehoboth Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Founded by Francis Makemie in 1683, the Rehoboth Church is the oldest continuously Presbyterian church in America. The second and current church structure was built by Makemie on his own land at personal expense in 1706. The building received extensive interior
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The ruins of Coventry Church can be seen here.
Also see . . .
1. Francis Makemie entry from Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 30, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. National Register of Historic Places datasheet. Statement of significance for this church. (Submitted on August 21, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,302 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on August 21, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1. submitted on November 30, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on October 23, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on November 30, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.