Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Named in honor of General George Washington who participated in two expeditions launched from Carlisle Barracks against the French and Indians in the colonial period. Erected in 1884 as the Indian School hospital. Served as a dormitory for the famous teams of Pop Warner. Converted to a guest house in 1951.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Science & Medicine • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 40° 12.562′ N, 77° 10.591′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Ashburne Drive and Forbes Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Ashburne Drive. The marker is on the grounds of Carlisle Barracks. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To Commemorate the First Home of the "Mobile Arm" (a few steps from this marker); Dragoon Circle (a few steps from this marker); Richard Henry Pratt (within shouting distance of this marker); Upton Hall (within shouting Charles Albert "Chief" Bender (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Revolutionary War Forge (about 400 feet away); Thorpe Hall (about 400 feet away); Wheelock Bandstand (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.