Monroe in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected by Monroe Historical Society. (Marker Number 231.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites ⛪ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1783.
Location. 41° 19.518′ N, 74° 10.44′ W. Marker is in Monroe, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on Spring Street (County Route 105) 0.2 miles from Freeland Street (County Route 40), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 Spring Street, Monroe NY 10950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Heroes (approx. 0.6 miles away); Monroe Race Track (approx. 0.6 miles away); Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); McGarrah’s Inn (approx. 0.7 miles away); Monroe Cheese Co.Village of Monroe (approx. 0.8 miles away); Monroe School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Landmark of Monroe (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Regarding First Church. Seamanville Cemetery is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The cemetery was the site of the first Presbyterian service in Monroe, held under a tree by Rev. Silas Constant in 1783. A meeting house was constructed on the site in the same year. The original building featured square pews, a gallery, and an octagonal pulpit. Members of the First Presbyterian Church of Monroe worshiped in the frame structure until 1853, when a new church was built at another location.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2009, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. This page has been viewed 770 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2009, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. 3. submitted on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. 4, 5. submitted on November 29, 2009, by Clifton Patrick of Chester, NY, United States. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.