Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
D'Iberville in Harrison County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Crossing

 
 
The Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
1. The Crossing Marker
Inscription.  Long before the Europeans appeared on the Biloxi Back Bay American Indians had trails that led to the water's edge, where their canoes were beached for crossings. At the time Biloxi Bay depths were incidental. That changed early in the Colonial Period (ending in 1812) as timber, brick and livestock required safe crossings via the deepest water route: The natural channel between the Lameuse-Reynoir landing (on the south side) and the Ladnier- Quave landing (on the north side). Between the 1840s and 1901 it was the principal crossing. In 1843. two years after Harrison County was established, a public ferry was licensed as the Back Bay Ferry with "Jenny" becoming the very first. It sank in the 1893 hurricane and was replaced by the "Shrimp". Then the steam ferry "Sam" began operation at the new Harvey's landing (a home, tavern, boatyard and ferry). Unfortunately it burned and sank in 1895. The "Shrimp” continued at the old landing until the D'Iberville Bridge (wooden) was erected in 1901.
 
Erected 2017 by the D'Iberville Historical Society, City of D'Iberville and Dale
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Greenwell.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsNative AmericansWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 30° 25.391′ N, 88° 53.468′ W. Marker is in D'Iberville, Mississippi, in Harrison County. Marker is on Central Avenue, 0.1 miles south of Bay Shore Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9414 Central Avenue, Diberville MS 39540, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Land and Legend of the Cross (here, next to this marker); The Quave Commercial Strip (approx. ¼ mile away); The Five Trails (approx. ¼ mile away); Harvey's Hill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi (approx. 0.3 miles away); D'Iberville High School Original Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Santa Cruz Landing (approx. half a mile away); The Old Brickyard (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in D'Iberville.
 
Looking north on Central Avenue. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
2. Looking north on Central Avenue.
Looking across the Back Bay to Biloxi. The Crossing Marker is on the left image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
3. Looking across the Back Bay to Biloxi. The Crossing Marker is on the left
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122439

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024