Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Headquarters
Major General Joseph Wheeler, C.S.A.
Commanding Cavalry Corps
(Marker Number MT-56.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 2.944′ N, 85° 18.002′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was on Douglas Street south of East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. This tablet was located on what is currently the expanded campus of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 515 Douglas Street, Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. To the Memory of Our Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Point in the Line of Fort Sherman (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (approx. ¼ mile away); A Point in the Line of Works (approx. ¼ mile away); Headquarters of Brigadier General George D. WagnerSite of Bragg's Headquarters (approx. 0.3 miles away); Walden Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “Cast iron tablet on post at 515 Douglas Street."
Regarding Site of Headquarters. With much help from Suzette Raney of the Local History and Genealogy Department of the Chattanooga Public Library, I have been able to put together some background information on these bronze and/or iron, Civil War related, tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A list of the tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga, in the mid-1890s, that identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 27, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.