Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
A point in the 2D Line of Works
Connecting Battery Erwin
with Fort Jones.
(Marker Number MT-33.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 2.647′ N, 85° 18.426′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was on East 10th Street east of Lindsay Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A Point in the 2d Line of Works (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Martin Hotel (about 400 feet away); The Impressions (about 400 feet away); Old Post Office (about 400 feet away); First Coca-Cola Bottling Company In The United States (approx. 0.2 miles away); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crutchfield House (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Crutchfield House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “Cast iron tablet in brick wall at 219 East 10th Street."
Regarding A point in the 2D Line of Works.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A list of the tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga, in the mid-1890s, that identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 28, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.