Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Centro Histórico in Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Valley of Mexico (The Central Highlands)
 

The High College of Saints Peter and Paul

 
 
The High College of Saints Peter and Paul Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, August 18, 2018
1. The High College of Saints Peter and Paul Marker
Inscription.  
Aquí se fundó por el Padre Pedro Sanchez el
Colegio Máximo de San Pedro y San Pablo en 1573.
Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República

English translation:
Here was founded the High College of Saints Peter and Paul by Father Pedro Sánchez in 1573.
Office of Monuments of the Colony and the Republic
 
Erected by Dirección de Monumentos Coloniales y de la República.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraEducationMan-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1573.
 
Location. 19° 26.175′ N, 99° 7.723′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de México. It is in Centro Histórico. Marker is on San Ildefonso just west of Calle Loreto, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: San Ildefonso 62, Ciudad de México 06000, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Manuel Cervantes Imaz (a few steps from this marker); First Monte de Piedad (within shouting distance of this marker); First Mexican Congress
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Juan Chavarria de Valera (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Temple of Our Lady of Loreto (about 120 meters away); Nidjei Israel Synagogue (about 120 meters away); Francisco Javier Clavijero (about 150 meters away); Temple of Santa Teresa La Nueva (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de México.
 
Regarding The High College of Saints Peter and Paul. San Pedro y San Pablo College was the second college founded by Jesuits in the Viceroyalty of New Spain. The Jesuit missionaries were sent to the new colony in the 16th century to found new missions and schools. The missionary group that founded the college was led by Father Pedro Sánchez. The official founding occurred in 1574 with the name of Colegio Máximo de San Pedro y San Pablo (The High College of Saints Peter and Paul). It was called "Máximo" because it was built to oversee the training of priests in Mexico City, Tepotzotlán, Puebla, Guadalajara, Zacatecas, Mérida and Guatemala.

Construction of the facility began in 1576, funded by Alonso
The High College of Saints Peter and Paul Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, August 18, 2018
2. The High College of Saints Peter and Paul Marker
The marker is to the right of the main entrance to the building that once was the High College of Saints Peter and Paul.
de Villaseca and others. The college's church, on the corner of El Carmen and San Ildefonso, was built by Jesuit architect Diego Lopez de Arbaizo between 1576 and 1603. The church annex was completed in 1603 and the rest of the college complex was finished in 1645.

The purpose of the college was to provide university-level education to young men, mostly those partially descended from white European colonial settlers. It was divided into the Lesser Schools, which taught humanities and Greek/Latin grammar, and the Superior Schools, which focused on theology, the arts and philosophy. The institution educated young men for both religious and secular vocations. It reached its peak during the first half of the 18th century when it had about 800 students enrolled. Two of its more notable alumni are Francisco Javier Alegre and Francisco Javier Clavijero.

After the expulsion of the Jesuits from colonial Mexico in 1767, the college closed. The school building was given to civil authorities, who first used it as a barracks and later to house the Nacional Monte de Piedad "credit union" charity foundation. The church was transferred to the Augustinians, who removed most of the church's decoration. The altarpieces, paintings, and other decorative objects were redistributed to other churches, especially to the Metropolitan Tabernacle of the Mexico City Cathedral, where many
Detail of the entrance of The High College of Saints Peter and Paul image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, August 18, 2018
3. Detail of the entrance of The High College of Saints Peter and Paul
of these pieces still remain. During this time, the complex began to seriously deteriorate. Adapted from Wikipedia
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 28, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122603

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024