Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Southeast Angle of Fort Phelps
of Fort Phelps
Begun By Confederates
(Marker Number MT-42.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 1.982′ N, 85° 18.362′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was on Read Street south of East 17th Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 1706 Read Street, Chattanooga TN 37408, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Chattanooga Choo-Choo (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dedication of Rose Garden to all Veterans (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Chattanooga Choo-Choo (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chattanooga's Railroads (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chattanooga, a City of Historical Significance (approx. 0.3 miles away); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. 0.3 miles away); Terminal Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chattanooga Howard School (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “Bronze tablet at 1706 Read Avenue."
Regarding Southeast Angle of Fort Phelps.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A list of the tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga, in the mid-1890s, that identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 97 times since then. Last updated on September 2, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 26, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.