Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Marshall-Shreveport Stagecoach Road

 
 
Marshall-Shreveport Stagecoach Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel
1. Marshall-Shreveport Stagecoach Road Marker
Inscription.  Before the Civil War (1861-65), the stage road was the main transportation artery between Marshall and Shreveport, providing a link with New Orleans for distant markets. Extending northeast from Marshall, the stage road paralleled the later route of State Highway 43 and passed about 2.5 miles north of this site. Merging with the route from Jefferson, it turned southeast toward Waskom. In some areas, iron-rimmed wheels and horses' hooves trampled the narrow roadbed as much as 12 feet below the surrounding terrain. Travel over the dirt road was uncomfortable in dry weather and often impossible in rainy seasons. Regular stage service was established by 1850, with three arrivals and three departures weekly from Marshall. Arrival of the stage was a major event. At the sound of the driver's bugle, townspeople rushed to meet the incoming coach. By 1860 Marshall had several stagecoach lines and a network of roads. The Marshall to Shreveport line was operated by plantation owner William Bradfield and his son John. The stage continued to run during the Civil War, despite the shortage of drivers and horses. Use of the stage road declined after the war,
Marshall-Shreveport Stagecoach Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel
2. Marshall-Shreveport Stagecoach Road Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
when the Southern Pacific completed a rail line to Shreveport.
 
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10197.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & VehiclesWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 32° 35.607′ N, 94° 15.921′ W. Marker is near Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is on Pine Bluff Road one mile north of State Highway 43, on the right when traveling north. Located at Pine Bluff Baptist Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marshall TX 75672, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Roadside Park (approx. 5.1 miles away); Harrison County (approx. 5.1 miles away); Texas & Pacific Depot (approx. 6.6 miles away); Ginocchio Hotel and Restaurant (approx. 6.6 miles away); Marshall (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Allen House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Ginocchio-Cook-Pedison House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Site of The Confederate Hat Factory in Marshall, C.S.A. (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122873

Paid Advertisement
May. 15, 2021