Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Heg's Brigade.

Davis’ Division—McCooks Corps.

— Col. John A. Martin. —

 
 
Heg's Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Byron Hooks, May 4, 2011
1. Heg's Brigade Marker
Inscription.  
Heg's Brigade
Davis' Division—McCooks Corps.
Col. John A. Martin.
Sept. 20, 1863. 10 A.M., 1st Position

25th Illinois—Maj. Samuel D. Wall. Capt. Wesford Taggart.
35th Illinois—Lieut. Col. William P. Chandler.
8th Kansas—Lieut. Col. James L. Abernathy.
15th Wisconsin—Lieut. Col. Ole C. Johnson.
Capt. Mons Grinager.
Wisconsin Light Artillery 8th Battery,
Lieut. John D. McLean.

The brigade advanced from its bivouac west of the Crawfish Springs road and took position on this ground in rear of Carlin’s brigade about 10 o’clock. It was soon after ordered to occupy the line to the left of Carlin from which Buell’s brigade of Wood’s division was withdrawing towards the left. While executing its movement, and when three regiments had reached the barricades, the enemy attacked in heavy force. After a spirited resistance the brigade was overwhelmed and forced to the rear in confusion.

It rallied on the high ground to the rear but was soon forced entirely off the field.

It was rallied near McFarland’s
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
gap and return to the field, but not in time to take further part in the action. Strength in action September 19, 1,218 officers and men. Casualties during the battle; killed 70; wounded 519; captured or missing 107; total 696. Percentage of loss 57.13.
 
Erected 1890 by War Department. (Marker Number MT-603.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational AreasWar, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 20, 1863.
 
Location. 34° 54.899′ N, 85° 15.768′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from LaFayette Road, 0.2 miles south of Brotherton Road, on the right when traveling south. This marker is located in the Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park. This marker is on the west side of LaFayette Road along a hiking path that connects LaFayette Road and Glenn-Kelly Road. The path crosses LaFayette Road between the Glenn Field and the Brotherton Field. The path branches several times, this marker is along a path (take a right when the trail splits) north of the main path. This marker can also be reached from the Brotherton Field. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 25th Illinois Infantry (here, next to this marker); 74th Ohio Infantry (within
Heg's Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Byron Hooks, May 4, 2011
2. Heg's Brigade Marker
View, looking east, toward the Brotherton field. The split rail fence in the background forms the south edge of the Brotherton field. The marker to the 25th Illinois is to the right.
shouting distance of this marker); Stanley's Brigade. (within shouting distance of this marker); 15th Wisconsin Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 41st Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 44th Indiana Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Reynolds' Division (within shouting distance of this marker); 7th Indiana Battery (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
 
More about this marker.
In locating this tablet I used the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map, that I purchased at the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Visitor Center, to determine both the marker number for this tablet and the tablet's location in relation to the rest of the park's monuments, markers, and tablets. According to the map it provides the, "numerical listing of all monuments, markers, and tablets on the Chickamauga Battlefield (using the Chick-Chatt NMP Monument Numbering System)”.

The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
 
Also see . . .
1. Death Knell of the Confederacy. Link to the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park web page. (Submitted on September 10, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 

2. Battle of Chickamauga. Overview of the battle provided by the American Battlefield Trust. (Submitted on September 10, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 10, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=123133

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024