Cassville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Town Of Cassville
In this valley was once situated the proud town of Cassville, begun in July 1833, as the seat of justice for Cass County and soon the center of trade and travel in the region recently comprising the Cherokee Nation. Both the county and town where named in the honor of Gen. Lewis Cass, Michigan statesman and Secretary of War in the Cabinet of President Andrew Jackson.
A decade after its founding Cassville lost its preeminence as a trading center due to the location of the state-owned Western and Atlantic railroad two miles west of its limits. It continued to flourish, however, and in 1860 was a community of some 1300 persons. Two four-year colleges located here and its newspaper, The Cassville Standard, gave weight to the claims of being the educational and cultural center for all northern Georgia.
In 1861 the name of the county was changed by action of the Georgia Legislature to Bartow in memory of Gen. Francis S. Bartow, a native Georgian killed at the First Battle of Manassas, and the name of the town became Manassas.
The entire town was destroyed by fire on Nov. 5, 1864 at the hands of the Fifth Ohio
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-17.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1833.
Location. 34° 14.935′ N, 84° 51.15′ W. Marker is in Cassville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is on Cassville Road NW (Old Route 41), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cassville GA 30123, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Cassville (here, next to this marker); Confederate Army of Tenn. at Cassville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site - Cassville Female College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Noble Hill Rosenwald School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grave of Gen. William Tatum Wofford (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Memorial Cassville CemeteryConfederate Line (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cassville.
Also see . . .
1. History of Cassville. (Submitted on October 11, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
2. Lewis Cass. (Submitted on October 11, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,885 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 11, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 2. submitted on November 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on August 17, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.