Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands (North America)
The Fountain of the Plaza del Baratillo
Ayuntamiento de Guanajuato 1989-91
The fountain that adorns this square was originally inaugurated in the Plaza Mayor on June 2, 1852 when piped water from the Presa de la Olla (the Cooking Pot Reservoir) flowed to it for the first time for the service of the population. On January 21, 1886, it was moved from the Plaza Mayor to the Plaza de San Diego. A few years later it was transferred to this place on October 4, 1893.
City Council of Guanajuato 1989-91
Erected 1989 by Ayuntamiento de Guanajuato.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical date for this entry is January 21, 1886.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Guanajuato 36000, Mexico. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Plaza del Baratillo (within shouting distance of this marker); Emma Godoy (within shouting distance of this marker); Puente de San Juan Nepomuceno (within shouting distance of this marker); The Prussian Consulate (within shouting distance of this marker); Temple of the Company of Jesus (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Temple of the Company of Jesus (about 90 meters away); Guanajuato Flooding of 1873 (about 90 meters away); Ponciano Aguilar (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guanajuato.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.